We use windsocks for a broad array of purposes, but we can most often see them on airport runways, seaports, roadways and motorways, and even areas which have a high elevation, such as mountainous locations. Windsocks are highly useful in that they can help us determine the wind’s strength, direction, and speed. Windsocks are similar in look to a sock – hence the name – and they come in different bright and bold colours such as red and orange. Windsocks also come in different styles, and you can choose windsocks which you can snap into place as well as windsocks which you lace into position, based on your requirements. But it’s important, however, to select a windsock which is durable, and which has a long lifespan – something which can withstand the elements quite well, especially since you will place it outdoors.
Do you need windsocks for your facility? Here are some other quick facts on windsocks you should know.
- Windsocks, as already stated, can signal the wind’s direction. So, if a windsock is pointing to the north, the wind’s direction is southerly. Simply put, the direction of the wind is the opposite of the windsock’s direction.
- Windsocks can also accurately show the speed of the wind based on the windsock’s angle on the windsock pole when the wind is blowing through the windsock. If the windsock is angled high in the air, the speed of the wind is higher. If the windsock is low in the air, then the speed of the wind is lower.
- Windsocks used for airports are often augmented with lighting so that you can adequately see and view them during nighttime. You can light up your windsocks with the use of floodlights or other strong lights.
- Most of the windsocks available today are made from a material like nylon since nylon is quite lightweight. Nylon is also a suitable material for windsocks because it can respond easily and quickly to even the slightest wind. Aside from this, the material is sturdy, and it doesn’t peel or crack like other materials. Also, nylon is an excellent choice because it doesn’t get affected by mildew or mould.
- You can also see windsocks used widely on highways and motorways so that drivers can be alerted regarding wind speed and direction. Windsocks help enhance the safety of motorists since motorists can adjust their vehicle’s speed according to the wind direction and speed indicated by the windsock.
- Windsocks are highly useful in emergency scenarios – for instance, just by looking at a windsock, emergency personnel can determine the direction of the wind when there is a chemical leak or gas leak. That helps staff identify what action they need to take.
When you are in the market for windsocks, remember that the sturdier they are, the better. Windsocks also need accessories such as windsock pole masts and swivel arms or cages, so choose these accordingly as well. If you aren’t sure about what type or style of windsock and accessories to choose, you can always speak with a professional supplier.
Image attributed toPixabay.com