When getting ready for work (or a hot date), we tend to focus primarily on what we look like. Lots of attention is given to clothing, make-up and hair, and all too often, scent is just an after-thought.
This could be a big mistake. Believe it or not, smell is one of the first things people notice, and it can seriously influence their first impression of you. Which is why so many people are interested in products like True Pheromones which uses natural hormones to attract the opposite sex. Here’s more information.
Guided by scent
Fragrance drives our reactions and emotions, whether you’re aware of it or not. It can take you back to a specific moment in time, or make you feel happy or sad. As such, it’s a powerful tool to use when you want to create impact.
- What do you want your scent to say? You probably already think about what your make-up says about you. But what message do you want your perfume to convey? Do you want people to take you seriously in the workplace, for example? Or, would you rather that people thought you were fun and approachable?
- What effect do you want to create? Some perfumes, like Baccarat Rouge 540 or Velvet Oud and Rose, are sensual and exotic. If you’re trying to be alluring, they’re the ones to go for. However, if you’re enjoying a day out with friends, you might want something fresh and vibrant, like Coco Chanel Mademoiselle. These sort of scents create a more invigorating, playful ambiance.
A breakdown of the ingredients
- Fruity scents. Several women’s perfumes are dominated by fruit. Common ingredients include: Sicilian lemon, bergamot, lime and mandarin, though occasionally you’ll see other fruits listed too, like apple or pineapple. Fruity scents are ideal for work or daytime wear, as they’re usually energetic and bold.
- Floral fragrances. Floral fragrances are often seen as more ‘feminine’, but this is a misconception – lots of male scents use flowers too! For example, jasmine and lavender are both quite musky, sophisticated ingredients, and are perfect for a night out. Rose is sultry and enticing, as is ylang ylang.
- Alluring ingredients. If you’re looking for the perfect perfume for an intimate meal with your partner, choose something with rich, deep base notes. Sandalwood and amber are excellent for creating a heady, sensual vibe, and oud oil is the ultimate ingredient if you want to radiate pure sexiness.
- Woody scents. Woody scents are deep, warm, and earthy fragrances. They’re typically derived from natural elements like sandalwood, patchouli, and cedarwood. Among men, woody cologne is a favored choice due to its robust and masculine aroma. These woody scents can be paired with hints of citrus or floral tones for a distinctive fragrance.
- Punchy aromas. Some of the best contemporary designer fragrances feature unexpected ingredients. For example, pink pepper provides a real spicy kick, which is ideal if you want to get noticed. Herbs are also sometimes used, which create complex, intriguing notes.
Which one is right for you?
The best way to answer this question is to test some fragrances out. Most department stores and perfume shops will be happy to give you a spritz, so you can wear it throughout the day. Even better, some online retailers sell 5ml sample bottles, which have quite a few applications inside. They’re a great way to test out the perfume in a range of different situations.